The Synergy Company is currently seeking a Botanical and Natural Products Scientist that is experienced in developing safe and beneficial ingredients, formulas, and products that are rooted in research, evidence-based science and historical/traditional wisdom. The company, located in the breathtaking surroundings of Moab, Utah, is a manufacturer and direct-to-consumer retailer of certified organic, high integrity dietary supplements.
The Botanical Scientist will play an essential role in product and ingredient development ensuring product integrity, innovation, safety, validation, and efficacy through the entire development process. This includes but is not limited to creating the essential technical documents that outline rationale, claims, safety, regulatory status, substantiation, and wellness benefits. The ideal candidate will use personal and published literature and research to educate other members of the team through written documents (monographs) and oral presentations. The research will help to frame ingredient/product design and inform product formulation. Furthermore, the monographs will serve as the backbone to ingredient and product legacy by documenting criteria by which the ingredients and products can be benchmarked.
- Evaluate proposed ingredient/product development and consult on ingredient/product design, applying knowledge of traditional use, published research and compelling scientific data.
- Collaborate on label claims for all new products.
- Document claims substantiation to meet regulatory requirements.
- Advise and report on specific botanicals and their nutrient/bioactive compounds.
- Analyze scientific data and apply findings to product development and claims substantiation.
- Interpret and present published research to facilitate the product development process.
- Provide technical and conceptual guidance on ingredient development.
- Author raw material monographs for all ingredients used in products made by The Synergy Company to substantiate the safety, benefit, historical use, published research and to define the specifications of that raw material.
- Write formula/product monographs and technical reports to define the goals and specifications of products such that the goal and intent of that product will be protected throughout formulation and re-formulation to ensure product integrity and legacy.
- Serve as an inter-departmental resource, including educational presentations as well as answering questions as they arise during the course of business.
- Assist with the interpretation of laboratory test results. Advise and consult on test method selection in collaboration with a third party analytical laboratory.
- Assist with all aspects of formulation projects: ingredient development (initial sourcing and qualification), safety and claims validation, benefits, regulatory status of ingredients and formulations, processing and bioactives assessment, and educational support.
- Master’s Degree or Ph. D. in Botany, Ethnobotany, Pharmacognosy, Biology, or Chemistry.
- Professional experience in the dietary supplement industry in Research and Development, Purchasing, Quality Assurance, or Regulatory.
- Experience authoring technical documents for the business environment.
- Professional experience working on team projects.
- Experience preparing and delivering presentations.
- Ability to understand, interpret and distill academic and clinical research for use in business decisions.
- Understanding of statistical design and ability to analyze data to provide relevant interpretation, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Clear and concise writing skills for the accurate documentation of detailed information.
- Strong attention to detail, and the ability to meticulously organize both physical and digital information.
- Ability to think critically and creatively to problem solve unique situations and make recommendations for alternative processes or products.
- Academic and technical understanding of raw material growing, harvesting, drying, processing, and extraction.
- Ability to effectively communicate with others in written and verbal forms. Cultivate trust through transparency, accountability and open communication.
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently on objectives while also collaborating with others.
Since its inception 25+ years ago, The Synergy Company has grown in stature to become one of the most highly regarded brands of certified organic supplements in the international marketplace. Synergy cares about the environment and the communities it serves. Most importantly, The Synergy Company cares about its employees and offers competitive compensation and benefits. We consider every employee and customer as a member of the Synergy Family and treat each with respect, integrity and the opportunity to better themselves.
Candidate must be authorized to accept employment in the United States. The Synergy Company does not sponsor Visa programs.